Sergeant Moyer's Diary; M-163

By Staff Sergeant Roy Moyer

            1945 . ..Jan. 28 we moved to the beach and loaded on the ship Herald of the Morning. Thursday night Feb. 1 we left the harbor bound for Mindoro. Stopped at Leyte on way Feb. 6 and sat in the harbor until Feb. 7. Arrived at Mindoro Feb.9, moved inland four miles, and set up another camp. It was near city of San Jose.

            March 6 moved to the beach and. went aboard LCI 1006. Landed against Jap forces at Zamboanga on Mindanao March 10. The city and surrounding country were secured by March 29 and we had set up a temporary camp. April 8 loaded on LCI 651 and on the morning of April 9 at 10:15 landed on Jolo Island. Left Jolo on May 12and landed near Davao on May 15. In action until July 1.

            Moved to beach near Davao and set up temporary camp. Broke camp and loaded on LST July 7, and headed for Zamboanga. Landed July 9 and moved by truck to new camp site. Set up garrison and trained replacements.

            After Jolo, my regiment was back in garrison camp again. We were acquiring replacements and training them as usual, and the scoop was, we were going to make the big one on Japan proper.

The G.I. was also as usual scouring the countryside for fresh eggs and fresh whiskey. The blend of whiskey being a conglomeration of rice, kerosene, and other extracts, which caused two of the men of M Company to be taken to the Hospital.

            I learned later that one had gone blind from the after effects. At this time quite a few of our men were leaving on the point system and my time was soon to come. Also the tents were up and staked. We had stolen a generator from the Air Corps and the Company area was again lit up.

            Some Company in the Third Battalion had been elected to build a show area and we were having movies, although I don't remember any live shows this late in the war. One show that I remember at this time was named "Flight to Freedom," and was the story of Amelia Earhart's life and a possible explanation of her death.

            This was one of the only times my rank paid off, for an Upper Three Graders' Club was erected and we had a nice brawl there after it was finished, and with stateside beer too and no cheap rice whiskey.

            Speaking of drinks, I do recall one guy from my outfit that dressed up one evening and proceeded out in the countryside with some local belle and late at night started back in the dark moonless terrain.

            About 150 yards behind our camp site was a tremendous water buffalo wallow about twenty yards across and filled with the most smelly, slimy and filthy mud that I have ever smelled. This guy being slightly under the weather, wound up in the middle of the same hole. Two other fellows had to retrieve him, and believe me, all three were in disgrace with their tent-mates for about two days until the smell died away.

            All men with 88 or more points left camp Aug 16 and boarded USS Sheridan. Arrived Leyte Aug. 18, and were taken to 28th Replacement Depot Company 651. Sept. 9 loaded on barge and taken to USS Brazil, a converted liner out of New York. Stopped at Eulipke, an island in the Carolina Group, dropped rest of convoy and proceeded alone to States. Sailed under the GOLDEN GATE bridge Sept 26 and dropped anchor at 4P.M., a total of three years, six months, and eleven days after I had left the same place.