THE 41ST INFANTRY DIVISION ASSOCIATION

At 0930 hours, 25 August 1945, a representative group from the units of the 4lst Infantry Division met in the Division Chapel in the city of Zamboanga on Mindanao Island in the Philippines, and at the proposal of the Commanding General, Maj. Gen. Jens A. Doe, launched into being an organization to be known as the 41st Infantry Division Association. The membership of this Association was to be composed of those men who had served with the 41st Infantry Division during its period of active service with the Army in periods of national emergency or in time of war. The first objective of the organization was to be the publication of a history of the 4lst Infantry Division from the date of its entry into federal service, 16 September 1940, to the date of its inactivation in World War II , which turned out to be 31 December 1945. It was provided that a copy of that history was to go to each Association member, and to the next of kin of all Division men who gave their lives in World War II. Another Association function would be the maintenance of a directory service, which is to be available to members of the Association for so long as funds permit. Other activities were to be assumed as the need arose or the membership dictated through the Board of Governors.

Subsequent meetings were held prior to the departure of the Division for the occupation of Japan, and on 7 September 1945, the Constitution and By-Laws were accepted by the organizing group. Occupational duties prevented further action until all units were established in their areas in the Hiro-Kure-Hiroshima districts of Japan. However, on 12 October the Board of Governors convened and started the chain of events which culminated in fully establishing the 41st Infantry Division Association as a responsible organization capable of carrying out its announced objectives. William F. McCartney, a former newspaperman with the Evening News of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and a member of the 273d Chemical Service Platoon, then attached to the 41st Division, was selected as editor of the history and work on that project got under way immediately. Charles C. Carver, then of Portland, Oregon, who was serving as a chief warrant officer, was elected to the position of Secretary-Treasurer.

Inactivation of the Division on 31 December 1945 necessitated removal of the business and editorial activities to the United States. The business office was located with the Secretary-Treasurer in Portland, while the writing and editing of the history was transferred with the editor to Washington, D.C., where all material for compiling the proposed volume was on file in the Department of the Army. During this period of transition the Association  continued to grow, and on 3 December 1946 became a corporation under the laws of the State of Oregon, with full powers and responsibilities of a non-profit corporation. Such a move was considered advisable inasmuch as the membership had grown to almost 7,700 by that time and the publishing of the history had become a national project of considerable proportions, thus requiring the maximum protection provided by law.

With the completion and distribution of the history of the 4lst Infantry Division an assured fact, the future of the Association lay in the hands of the  members through the duly elected Board of Governors. Its perpetuation during the coming years as a conservative, non-political force will have much to do with preserving the ideals which too often are lost sight of in the heat of daily living. Those men of the 41st Infantry Division who wrote the  Constitution and By-Laws had that thought in mind when they wrote the following Preamble, which is offered to all who served: "We, who have served with the 41st Infantry Division in the war against Japan, in order to perpetuate the memories of its activities against the enemy, of our gallant dead, and of the glorious comradeship forged on the fields of battle, do hereby associate ourselves together into an Association to be known as the 4lst Infantry Division Association."

The first two periodicals produced by the Association were:

The Sunset Division Bulletin Vol. I, 1947

The Sunset Division Bulletin Vol. II, 1948

In 1949 began the periodical Jungleer from which the firsthand veteran histories on this website have been extracted.  All stories, battle casualties, and histories have been divided by campaign and can be accessed by the WWII Operations listings at the bottom left portion of the home page.